Adrift

Home Forums TRIP REPORTS Adrift

This topic contains 158 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  CatM 2 months ago. This post has been viewed 6468 times

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 159 total)
  • Author

GaryD
    Participant

Thanks you fellow crazed Canadian. Everything feels good at this end. Sometimes I wish I was better at research and planning but we are having a good time.

Not sure when you leave, I think we will be in PDC on the 18th.

Canadiense Loco
    Participant

I have been home freezing my ass off for a while now Gary. I mean who would not want to have experienced the coldest February in Alberta in the last 4o years ? 😉

Next year we try for 5 weeks.

Keep on keep’in on Gary. 🙂

GaryD
    Participant

Ok, well next year you guys will have to come over to JMM for a few days to catch the local flavor.

Right now we are looking forward to March 14th when the biggesr fair in the state is held here. There will singing and dancing, horse races, roping contests, etc. Also corridas de toro ( bullfights). This year featuring 3 top female matadoras from Columbia, Mexico, and Spain.

There will be rides and food vendors of regional cusine. Already townsfolk are practicing their group linedancing, we have been watching them in the town square at night.

Fair runs till the 23rd.

Its hot here though man… had to put an a/c unit in here at the house.

Enjoy your cool weather.. lol

GaryD
    Participant

Back on the trip report, now at Feb.18th, we headed back towards the north, wanting to spend an evening at that newly discovered bar on the little island at Tamualipas. This far south there are lots of random location road checks by police and military mostly designed to catch northbound traffic. I think most of them were below Huixtla. We were searched the one time by military guys, but they acted very polite and professional and sent us along our way.

There is a big government checkpoint installation on that route too.

GaryD
    Participant

Not wanting to arrive at the bar too early, I had found another boat tour by the coast at Chocohuital. Internet info and local signs indicated you could see up to 300 crocodiles and you know how much I like them so we made the turn seaward at Pijijiapan. The road is quite rural and we had some delays of a more livestock variety.

Near the embarcadero at Chocohuital we had lunch at a restaurant where the lady spoke perfect english. Turns out she spent 8 years in Arizona. Good food there, free appy, and garlic prawns.

CatM
    Participant

Waiting (not so patiently) for more! LOL

Looking forward to it! 🙂

GaryD
    Participant

Hey Cat,

I will put some up.

We are just busy at our escapades.

So, to continue, we have been on a few boating excursiones and the thought of seeing more crocodiles was exciting so we chartered the tour from the dock there.

This trip turned out to be perhaps the worst tour ever.

We had told the guy that we wanted to see the crocodiles and asked about how long the tour was and he told us two hours. After leaving the dock he steered out to mid channel and putted along rather slowly. We were too far from shore to see much, but he pointed out various sea birds.

I told him we had seen plenty of birds and were here for the crocs.

Finally he turned into the mangroves and worked the boat through the trees.

April thinks she might have seen a crocodile, but I saw nothing but mangrove swamp.

He took us back out to mid channel in the estuary and we putted slowly back to the dock.

What a waste of time that was!

GaryD
    Participant

We scooted on up the hiway to a hotel close to Tamaulipas. There are no hotels in that little town that we know of.

Hotel Jazminess has budget accommodation style rooms available. Lobby looks nice.

The phone collecting dust on the desk reminds one of a different era…

We drove over the stony hill to the hidden town below.

Beside the old rail tracks in town center, hungry goats munch on a watermelon treat.

GaryD
    Participant

We arrived at the little bar on the island to find little boys there playing marbles.

I think marbles was one of the first games I played or maybe  jacks. Nowadays if you asked a kid what their first game was….. ?

Also there was a problem at the bar. The beer truck had just left and he only had warm beer and there is  no ice in town. Luckily we travel with a cooler and I had  just bought new ice.

I went up to the truck to bring the cooler down while miss abril was interrogated by the boys. The boys thought it was funny that Abril didn’t speak spanish but were appreciative of the chocolate bars she dug out of the cooler and ate them as they continued their game.

The two other patrons were happy of the ice as well, a few cubes in a warm glass of beer fixes it up nicely.

We sipped beer and watched the boys play, and they could play well. I noticed they always used the one hand advance from the shooting point, something we only used to allowd if one’s rock was badly screened. They used stilt shots commonly and since they were playing in dirt almost all were airborne shots.

Then someone’s older sister showed up and beat everyone and kept the marbles.

You can see in this pic that she looks a little old to be playing marbles with the kids, maybe she really stopped by for one of Abrils chocolate bars.

GaryD
    Participant

With no marbles left, the boys took to fishing around the island, using a cast net.

The whole setting was so idyllic.

Their catch. Maybe we wanted to buy the fish?

GaryD
    Participant

More little boys showed up to discuss local happenings or whatever….

We ate delicious empañadas…

Puffed perfectly…

GaryD
    Participant

I gave my new little friends money for the juke box and there was a bunch of dancing with each other.

Night closed in and it was time to say goodbye as the moon rose over the boulder hill.

Each boy came by to say goodbye, some in english and to shake hands mexican style, open hand slap and touch knuckles.

I gave them all my coins to share.

Goodbye, little bar, I will never forget you….

GaryD
    Participant

I should mention that Abril almost always takes little chocolate bars with us to give away to the kids (and some adults) as treats. Its part of our travelling kit.

Also part of the kit is a coffee maker which I had not brought to the room. In the morning I found this lady selling coffee and breads from her mobile café.

She wheelbarrows 1 kilometer to and from the gas station everyday to make her living.

We were headed north still, into Oaxaca. The climate changes and it is a lot drier.

This mountain has a barrel shaped nub on it.

Crossing the state line.

susiej
    Participant

Love the pic of the little bar at night.  So tranquil.

GaryD
    Participant

For sure I will visit again if at all possible susiej. That town is not far from the highway but hidden behind the hill. It’s a secret place that the modern world has passed by.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.