Adrift

Home Forums TRIP REPORTS Adrift

This topic contains 158 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  CatM 1 month ago. This post has been viewed 6163 times

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • Author

GaryD
    Participant

There are quite a few mango orchards past the state line and they hang thick on the trees in the town of Chahuites

CatM
    Participant

I too love that pic of the little bar at night susiej. So tranquil and inviting.

Thanks so much for sharing all your photos Gary. I love the way you and April travel! 🙂

GaryD
    Participant

And then there are the wind generator farms.

The massive structures bring prosperity to some.

And increased poverty to others. The landowner earns more from the lease than he did from his crops but the farm workers no longer have jobs. Some claim there is an increase in health problems, crop failures and that the cattle seem to suffer.

The base of the towers are quite large, trying here to provide some scale.

GaryD
    Participant

CatM, I wish I could take some of you with us on these adventures.

Its more fun if you can share experiences together. Miss Abril and I get along really well which helps tremendously.

But it seems everyone is too busy so the report is the best I can do to bring you along for now. Next year will be another opportunity to explore…

GaryD
    Participant

This region is called the Isthmus of Tehuantepec. Generally referred to as Istmo by locals, we have visited the area before but never actually stayed in the city of Tehuantepec.

The sign says ” land of the immortal sandunga”, referring to the ladies (sandunga’s) of Zapotec descent who run the business in the mercado’s.

Strong willed and confident, they are the masters of their homes and finances.

A large metal sculpture honoring the sandunga’s greets you at the town entrance.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  GaryD.

GaryD
    Participant

We toured around the famous mercado.

And found a small cantina bar out back. There were quite a few women in there who were not bar girls, contrasting strongly with other areas visited where these establishments are male dominated.

The women wanted to talk to Abril and ignored me until they realized I would have to translate.

A few words on spanish will definitly help improve a travellers experience.

GaryD
    Participant

The moto taxi’s here are different in that one has to climb up the back to get in.

Quite high off the ground, you are carried like cargo.

The ladies dont like their photos taken but I did get a shot from behind of the typical attire worn by the ones who support traditional clothing.

We hung around the town square that night but found it a bit quiet.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the women in the bar bought april beer…. but not me…

stevebalt
    Participant

Hi Gary, Cant tell you how enjoyable it is to follow you and Ms. Abrils journeys . This is good stuff !!!!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  stevebalt.

CatM
    Participant

I am pretty sure you two are back in Canada now, and I am so looking forward to you and Abril’s next adventures. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.