Adrift

Home Forums TRIP REPORTS Adrift

This topic contains 158 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  CatM 5 months ago. This post has been viewed 7119 times

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 159 total)
  • Author

GaryD
    Participant

We carried on, crossing that narrow neck of Tabasco to Chablé, then over the great Usumacinta river and into Chiapas.

Needing a hiding hole for the night, I turned south, crossing again into Tabasco to the town of Emiliano Zapata.

Named after one of the key players in the Mexican revolution, you might recall that Zapata led one of the armies and was known as the liberator of the south. He also believed in enforcing the “Plan of Ayala” which they had used to the peasants to join in the fray.

The plan states in short that – “the people that work the land own it”

That saying on the statue above “Tierra y Liberdad” is a saying still used by the modern Zapatista movements today.

They also have a monument of a flying saucer, but I am not sure of its signifigance.

Downtown we enjoyed the winter carnival fiesta and had to call it quits…. all burned out.

GaryD
    Participant

Since we are close by, we decided to head a bit farther south to the Usumacinta river canyon and the nearby town of Tenosique.

Most people think of Tabasco as a hot place, but that is mostly because of the sauce, which is only named tabasco sauce and has nothing to do with the state in Mexico at all.

Tabasco is a wet state, lush and green and home to big rivers, swamps and ponds.

It was raining in the morning when we left.

After a strangely served breakfast where an order of toast came first, then later overdone eggs, and then still later came bacon. Bacon that looked like sliced cooked spam.

We took off thru the Tabasco countryside.

GaryD
    Participant

We stopped first at the town of Boca del Cerro, at the mouth of the Usumacinta river canyon. Above here the river is squeezed into a narrow canyon. Below here it is wide and slower but still collects water on its way north to empty into the bay of Campeche in the gulf of México.

Just a pig tied up by the river.

There is a large bridge over the canyon mouth.

GaryD
    Participant

They offer boat tours up the river a bit, but were booked for a couple of hours.

We took a few pics around the launch area and bridge.

And went to have a look at Tenosique.

GaryD
    Participant

Tenosique is the home of the “pocho” dance which predates the spanish arrival.

https://www.mexico.mx/en/articles/dance-mask-pocho

We didn’t see any dances, just the statues.

GaryD
    Participant

And Iguana’s… sitting like statues… 5 in this foto basking in the sun.

Down by the riverside walkway.

You can see how wide that river has become in just a few kilometers.

GaryD
    Participant

Another thing we found in Tenosique was two coin push machines… one of them unplugged. So that makes 4 so far. One each in Tuxtla and Parasio and these ones.

I love playing them.

This is on the street that passes in front of the mercado, halfway up the hill.

So in the mercado is the usual sort of stuff.

GaryD
    Participant

I was hungry so I ordered some tacos in there.

The lady deftly flipped some meat on her grill, hauled if off and chop- chop- chop with the cleaver, then back on the grill for a bit, then chop- chop- chop, etc until it was small enough to put in my taco’s.

Only thing was, she had on this top, open at the front, and had her ample boobs stuffed up in a lift bra, so the work kinda went like…

Chop-chop jiggle-jiggle

Chop-jiggle-chop-jiggle-jiggle

Chop-chop-jiggle-jiggle

Etc.

Of course I’m just sitting there mesmerised by all this when I hear April’s voice behind me …. “see you found a good place for taco’s”, and she gives me a knowing look.

We smile …. and just then the taco lady’s partner gets a phone call order for 20 tacos to pick up.

So….. on it went as I enjoyed eating my taco’s slowly, savoring the moment.

Chop-jiggle-chop-jiggle-chop, chop, chop, ….will go down as one of my fondest memories this trip.

Abril is so understanding of me and my soft spot for bar girls and other cute ladies…. or maybe its my hard spot? Anyways she says she knows I’m coming home to sleep with her so the rest don’t matter.

Chop-jiggle-jiggle….

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  GaryD.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  GaryD.

GaryD
    Participant

Moto taxi’s lined up along the curb outside the mercado.

We went for that boat ride under the bridge and up the river.

DaveCindy
    Participant

You Just got to love the    Chop-jiggle-jiggle…. LOL, I bet the Tacos were great.

Thanks again for taking the time to do your reports I check 2 or 3 times a day to see if you have posted anything new.

GaryD
    Participant

Thanks Dave, and thanks for posting. I have been trying to post up in the mornings but I get a bit behind.

Some boat tour pics. Its no where near as good as the Sumindero canyon tour near Tuxtla Guiterraz in Chiapas, but was a pleasant way to pass an hour in the afternoon.

Interesting, the rock formations on the canyon walls.

They take you up past the border to a balenero on the Chiapas side and then back down to the bridge.

GaryD
    Participant

The decision was made to push on westward a bit so we made for Villahermosa.

Some roadside stuff. There is always these roadside hotels that rent rooms by the hour.

This lady, selling her fish on a string beside the road.

We arrived in Villahermosa in a downpour and took a room downtown. Hotel was very nice.

I’m still looking for that veracruz sauce as good as in Sabuncuy that time last year. This fish was ok, but I know its true…. “You can never go back”

I should get a t-shirt with that on it.

We tried out a few bars before we found a good one…. “Bar El lugar”

Sort of nightclub style with DJ music, good tunes, good times.

Bar stools looked cool, even if we never sat in them.

Ranger
    Participant

Hi Gary, Thank you for posting been following you since the old PI 🙂

GaryD
    Participant

Hi Ranger, I remember you. Thanks for the encouragement.

We left Villahermosa for Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, one of my favorite places on earth.

You head west towards Cardenas but just after the Rio Grijalva bridge you can go south and shortcut over the highway above Huimanguillo.

Along that shortcut I saw bananas growing in their trees, but with blue plastic bags pulled up over them. Cant figure why.

That piece of road is scenic but narrow with topes so I was glad to turn south.

I came across these roadside orange vendors.

Two mandrins weighed almost a kilo.

This is a one pound orange…. delicious too!

A bit farther on a stop I am always making is in Chontalpa.

The north end of town is home to many pineapple stands so a purchase of fresh juice is in order at 15 pesos each for a few large bottles.

GaryD
    Participant

Chontalpa is also a good stop for a chicken lunch. I love watching these chickens spinning in their baskets as the whole rig rotates.

The girls that work at this place spent a lot of time watching us, and smiling and turning away when I would catch them at it.

Guess they don’t see many Canadian’s around those parts.

Outside of town, a couple swept by us on their motorbike, chickens dangling, airing out on the way.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.