all inclusive vs wandering

Home Forums GENERAL – PLAYA DEL CARMEN all inclusive vs wandering

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Robs back 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 283 times

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

locogringo
    Participant

Just curious, my wife and I do the all inclusive bit. We get a lot of grief for even going to Mexico due to the rise in violence around Playa Del Carmen. We retreat to the resort not long after dark. Wondering what the pervailing attitude is in this forum.

GaryD
    Participant

Well, Mexico is a very dangerous place. Last year I put over 8000 km on a rental car and the year before over 11,000 km, the years before????  Most of it far away from the tourist zones. I have traveled alone and with a companion mostly during the days, but sometimes at night and have stood alone on beaches where I was the only one as far as the eye can see. I have driven down jungle paths into isolation and had my struggles with trying to get by in a world with a different language, drinking in local bars with rough strangers, eating food that was beyond what I knew. But somehow I survived this long. I love every minute of it. I don’t have a holiday, I have an adventure.

It’s a good thing your friends are too scared to come, it keeps the place more natural for me.

Oh, after dark is when the towns come to life and the squares fill with people… don’t cut yourself short. Enjoy yourself no matter how you travel, don’t worry what the friends and neighbors think. Some people don’t like others to have a good time.

Canadiense Loco
    Participant

I thought I replied to this but I think through editing I deleted it so here goes again, and slightly different. 🙂

I am a wanderer. Not like Gary…… he is on a whole different level that I think is really cool and I think how and where he travels speaks volumes. 🙂 Anyways I cannot speak to an AI as we have never done one in Mexico and I know I never will. I know it is not my thing. We have been coming down some 14 times since 2006. We have always stayed a a private residence except for the odd small hotel on overnight side trips. We have rented cars and drove and explored around QRoo and Yucatan state. I do not like tours either. I like to do my own thing.  So as you may expect, I feel you are missing out on some great experiences. I would not have met the people I have met (locals,expats,and others), seen the things I have seen, or tasted some of the food I have tasted by “retreating to a resort” not long after dark.  It frustrates when I read comments from people, many whom have never been, about how dangerous Mexico is and don’t go.  Sure it has well documented problems and areas to be avoided like most cities, but when I consider the number of people that visit each year vs. the number that have serious troubles, I feel the odds of us returning home safe very likely. The publicity that a tourist issue receives in the media and the fear it creates blows my mind.  We try to remain informed and aware and conduct ourselves accordingly, as we would at home or any other place we visit. With that most of our time is spent off 5th, sometimes well off, and yes, often after dark. In the end what an individual is comfortable with is their own choice and not right or wrong. If staying at your AI provides you with a vacation you are happy with then that is all that matters. My prevailing attitude ? I still love the place even through all the changes and challenges and for now will continue to explore it as a wanderer as I always have.  🙂

wolfpf
    Participant

I’ve been going to PdC once a year since 2010 and have never stayed at a resort. The first year I went my mother told me 2 things: 1) not to talk to strangers and 2) not to go out after dark. We vetoed the not talking to strangers since I was travelling by myself :p and if I never went out after dark it would have been a very boring trip. Things have definitely changed over the last almost 10 years but I still feel safe in the area whether I’m travelling with family or by myself. I always rent a condo or boutique hotel in either Centro or Little Italy and spend most of my evenings socializing in a bar or two and if my 68 year old mother is with me she routinely wanders around centro people watching in the evenings until at least 9pm.  At least 90% of our time is spent off of 5th Ave and I think this February we may have actually eaten on 5th once at La Vagabunda cause some people wanted lunch and some wanted breakfast. We’ve also spent some time on Cozumel, Holbox and Merida and also stay in either houses (Merida) or small hotels when there and totally enjoy it. As Loco says be aware of what’s going on and use your common sense and there’s alot of places and people to enjoy in the area day and evening. 🙂

Robs back
    Participant

its a good idea to read the local papers on a regular basis,,i have for several years now…..there are changes in the whole region….it will be hard for you to make a decision unless its an informed one,,,get the facts read the papers, there are several for that region, things have changed alot for that.

Ranger
    Participant

I’ll go with the majority here, we stayed AI our first trip here in 2007. Then began reading PI and we began staying in town on 10th, great price, clean and we thought convenient to 5th. But packing for the beach etc daily was not what we wanted so after hearing many good things and it’s location Playa Maya has been our spot for 4th or 5th stay in 39 days. We enjoy in town restaurants, bars, music, street foods and overall atmosphere. The beach is looking good these days we were booked last year and had to cancel for me to have back surgery so we are really anxious to get back. I know there are problems that are new to the area but I still like=love our little slice of heaven for now. We have met a bunch of good friends in the last 11 years. Was fun when you knew walking into Bad Boys there would be many familiar faces. See you in Playa 🙂

Pics from 2014

Pic from webcam above new hotel next to Playa Maya 10/5/2018

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/mexico/quintana-roo/solidaridad/playa-del-carmen.html

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Ranger.

Robs back
    Participant

yes i been following that and right now were on a good days, but i dont see that staying great for the long term, the seaweed was disrupted id say due to the hurricane which moved up along the region, they had booms out, much like oil booms, but the wave action smashed up a bunch in playa car, the papers had an article on it last week,,,im kind of curious where in the south its origination from ranger,,,cause it comes and go based on the winds….we all ruled out the saragaso sea some time ago as its 34 latitude…

MsNSol
    Participant

Another view, solo female traveller, mostly retired,  travelling to PDC since 2003.  Shortest trip 1 week longest 2 months. I am also a condo dweller and rent within the area I feel comfortable being out and about in. I have gone to school on the misfortune of others.  I only carry with me what I need for that outing.  In the past friends have had their purses stolen by a passer by on a motor bike. One purse grabbed off a shoulder and the other grabbed out of a bike basket. Cell phones, computers and other electronics have also been stolen from people I know mostly related to doors and windows being left open.  I have also had friends take a tumble or require medical attention and know that a credit card, id and your insurance card are required, so i have copies of the documents and a credit card with a limit just big enough to get me into the hospital. I use a small purse that is always on by body.  When walking my phone is in my pocket, not my purse. At night my keys are in my hand ready to use in self defence or in the door. I try to be vigilant and aware of my surroundings.  I don’t leave my drink unattended.  The balcony doors have sticks because their locks suck!  Really the same sort of thing I do at home where vehicle and other thieving is rampant. Also to quote Rob don’t take things to Mexico that you don’t want to risk loosing by theft. That being said there have been several murders in my hood in PDC recently, execution hit style murders.  While these are clearly targeted situations no one, including me wants to be collateral damage or see something that can’t be unseen.  Last year I felt safe in PDC. I arrive in a couple days and I wonder what the feeling will be like this year.  My attitude is I do what I can to minimize the risk of being a victim of crime, pay attention to my surroundings and if I don’t feel safe then I have something to worry about and decisions to make.  In the meantime…….don’t worry be happy.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  MsNSol.

Robs back
    Participant

sol speak true,,i had 4 good friends who had home invasions last winter

susiej
    Participant

Yes, and thanks for being honest.  I am very curious about your feelings this year.  I left 4 years ago and haven’t been back.  Every time I feel like I might take a month down it’s either the sargasso or the crime that deters me.  I also have spent the majority of my time there on my own so I can relate.  I’ve also had two bikes and a camera stolen although not out of my home.  My home itself was never broken into but I had multiple lines of defense : )

MsNSol
    Participant

My view Rob, sorry your friends were the victims of invasions.

Ranger
    Participant

The sargassum has abated and after watching it close for a while the water is clearing very nice. This pic was yesterday afternoon while raining. You can see how clear the water is with a bit of debris. 34 days 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Ranger.

locogringo
    Participant

I don’t want to give the impression that we are back on campus at dusk. No, we stay out until bedtime sometimes. For perspective we are late 60’s. Mostly on Avenida quince’, but my wife does like the resort so around 9 pm we head back. I am still working, and we tend to wait until hurricane season is over before we travel down there. We are in the mountain time zone, and they are in eastern. So it gets dark around 5-6 local time. A long time ago when I attended the national avalanche school they had a saying. “the first rule of avalanche safety is, don’t go where avalanches happen.”

Therefore, we don”t go where we are not comfortable. Cheers.

Mike

OH-Jeff
    Participant

My partner and I have always stayed at resorts, the past 10 years. We love coming into Playa. Wondering if it’s very likely we could find an AirBnB or hotel room for a night. All the AirBnB I checked seemed to have a two-day minimum. Unrealistic?

Robs back
    Participant

there are a ton around jeff,,,i see alot of b and b places also just check on the internet, google some of the hotels downtown, im sure someone can fit you in….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.