Confused about banking

Home Forums GENERAL – PLAYA DEL CARMEN Confused about banking

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Robs back 3 weeks, 3 days ago. This post has been viewed 115 times

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Skscrewball
    Participant

Probably a silly question….how does everyone deal with money while you are on holidays.  This is our first extended holiday this year and wondered how people accessed their banks.  For the canadians in this forum do you use the Atms at Scotiabank?  Any advice is appreciated.  🙂

Robs back
    Participant

hi ball…..for us canadians,,,the best is to open a scotiabank account in canada and use the atms, there is no fees and its your best rate. use the scotia atms. us that have been going long term have been doing this for years. keep a close eye around the atms and use them early in the morning and dont take out large amounts….a couple of people were held up at the atms last winter,,i usually scope them out for a few minutes from a distance to see whos hanging around…

do keep in mind that your regular atm card will work, but usually there is a service fee and also a fee charged from mexico so its a shock sometimes, but scotiabank is fee free for scotia accounts

Skscrewball
    Participant

Thank you very much for this information.  This is exactly what I wanted to know. 🙂

Robs back
    Participant

your welcome,,,there are basically 4 different exchanges,,,you get a computer exchange rate such as xe,,if the exchange on the computer is 15 for instance,,,youll get 14.6 at the atm, if you use atm …..then if you were to purchace money directly from a bank you would get probably around 14.2 and if you were to use the cambios you probably end up somewhere around 13.9on a computer rate of 15

and if you were using different bank machines you could loose a full pesos on some , with some accounts….
    caution, stay away from stand along bank machines, there were alot of problems with card skimming, and cover the key pad with your other hand…

Skscrewball
    Participant

Thanks again I really appreciate this information. 👍

Robs back
    Participant

the xe rate today is 14.5 which is slightly higher than this time other years, usually in the winter we get atm rates around 14.5 ish for most of the winter,,some weeks 14.1 some weeks 14.8,,i expect the rate to be pretty much same or slightly higher this winter.
    you will find that some atms are empty on the weekends…..thats just normal

Skscrewball
    Participant

Thanks again I appreciate the information.   Te debo una cerveza! 🍻

Robs back
    Participant

give us a shout when you get in town…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.