How's the Sargassum right now?

Home Forums GENERAL – PLAYA DEL CARMEN How's the Sargassum right now?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  PlayaMaya 2 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 624 times

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Roll Tide
    Participant

Have been watching the webcams almost daily, but hard to determine the sargassum level from such a confined area. Yesterday (Thursday) it looked worse than it has been in a couple of weeks. Anyone there right now that can update us? Thanks in advance…

northplaya
    Participant

You should check out this FB page.  It has up to date information on the sargassum in numerous locations.

Sargasso Seaweed Updates Riviera Maya

PlayaMaya
    Participant

It’s been subsiding nicely for the past week or so, at least in central Playa. I just posted a pic from this morning on the Beach Thursday thread.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  PlayaMaya.

bruce sundance
    Participant

´ Quintana Roo will request a declaration of natural disaster due to excessive sargassum´

worse expected in august.

Quintana Roo solicitará declaratoria de desastre natural por exceso de sargazo

Hummbaby11
    Participant

So sad! I remember when I started visiting the area in 2011 that the sea was like a dream. …unlike anything I had seen before.  To see what has happened and continues to happen to the coastline all around the Riviera Maya is tragic.  No matter how epic the town and area are, in my opinion, the SEA is the reason people come. Even on good days now when there is no sargassum washing ashore, the water near the shore is still quite brown from what wasn’t picked up that lays on the surface of the sea. I will be back again in late January like I am every year, but if the current situation only continues to get worse as it appears it will, I might have to look into going elsewhere to spend my vacation dollars.

Chevy
    Participant

My thoughts exactly Hummbabyll.We have been going to Playa for about five years and it has been getting steadily worse.This coming winter we are heading to Puerto Vallarta .

Hummbaby11
    Participant

oldpanucho
    Participant

For the life of me I cant believe they dont invest in a beach rake to clean it up.When I see the silly guy with his little pitchfork and wheelbarrow trying to clean 5000 tons of the stuff every day I just shake my head. Its like when they built the new pier and then the beach in front of town was washed away in a year. So then they built the “new beach ” so that could wash away too.

Hummbaby11
    Participant

I know this was after the Beach Reclamation project, but even before the project this is what the water looked like. 🙁

Now even when there isn’t any sargassum washing up on the shore, it’s rare to see the see this turquoise anymore. Sure hope something will come about to rectify the problem.

BABALOO
    Participant

hopefully will be cleared soon…….Sue is very upset about the situation……🤬

Hummbaby11
    Participant

I hope so too Rick.  I hope you and Sue are doing well.

Chevy
    Participant

Nice to see the smoking baby back!

bruce sundance
    Participant

oldpanucho
    Participant

They already tried the floating barrier years ago.After the first storm it all broke apart and washed away to China.

Califguy
    Participant

Back in 2000 there used to be topless chicas on all the beaches too, everything seems to going down hill.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.