Need a different condo! Who has one?

Home Forums GENERAL – PLAYA DEL CARMEN Need a different condo! Who has one?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Murray185
    Participant

After 8 years in the building and 6 years in this condo we have decided to move on. We love this condo and the location but as Playa grows so does the nightly noise level. We have started the search for next year. We are looking for 3 month rental of a 2 bedroom in Centro for approximately Jan 7, 2020. If anyone has a condo that might work send me a PM. Also, if you have a very good property manager that has inventory I would appreciate a PM with the contact info.

Robs back
    Participant

im sure something will come along old friend,,,i am also not returning to this building as the noise is just unreal at night…I have a few places I looked at but haven’t given my hand shake quiet yet on one…im looking for just a 1 bedroom, 4 months…..I have a few viewings in the next couple weeks

Murray185
    Participant

As we search around for suitable accommodation I ask myself. “Do the property owners know what their representative is doing and how their condo is being marketed”. Likely not!!! More often than not the posted price is a bait and switch. We arrive to inspect the condo and as soon as price is brought up the posted price is doubled and we are told that the price we saw on the condo site is an old price. Bull! Do I look like a walking bank machine? There are a pile of these representatives out there and from what I see they have no risk and do almost nothing for the huge slice of rent they take off the top. I would really prefer to deal with an owner directly.

I also notice a lot of empty condos that have huge asking rents. It appears to me that the owner would prefer to go fishing in the pool of people who don’t care, or don’t realize how much they pay.  Good Luck with that.

Thought we had found a condo at the price we were discussing and after a few days of stalling on the representatives part the “NEW” asking price was upped considerably. Our search continues.

GaryD
    Participant

I guess when you walk away they don’t offer a lower price.

Seems like there are a lot of empty places there. You will find something but it sure is a drag getting your time wasted.

Murray185
    Participant

And Gary that is what happens. The “agent” lets a long term paying tenant walk away for the prospect of snagging a short term vacation big fish that don’t know better.

Robs back
    Participant

yes mur your so right,,,i see a ton of empty ones around now also,,i have a few to view this week….

oldpanucho
    Participant

good luck finding a quiet place , if you climbed up the highest mountain in Mexico there would already be a barking dog there ! 

Canadiense Loco
    Participant

Hmmm. We have had no real problem with noise.

DaveCindy
    Participant

Hey Murray how did you make out with the condo hunt? We are having the same issues as nobody wants to give a good discount for a 3-month stay they would rather try and get full price for 3 weeks. A few years ago if you told them you wanted to stay for 1 month they were thrilled and would give a %50 discount now it seems like a bad thing to want to stay longer.

Murray185
    Participant

DaveCindy the condo hunt is the most frustrating experience we have had for some time. At one time an offer of 3 months would be considered good for both parties. However, we are finding the condo management companies a very real obstacle to obtaining a long term rental at a favorable price. Management companies make more money on short term rentals so there is no incentive to rent long term. If the property remains empty it costs them nothing as they have nothing invested so they sit and wait for potential last minute bookings. The explosion of management companies has done very little for the tenant and probably less for the owner. Companies that advertise 8 – 14% return can only get that return by obtaining a higher rental rate than the norm. I have talked with renters that stay a month that are paying a shocking amount for their one month rental. If the management company can snag a few of these then their return is good but the question is how good is it for the owner when the condo is empty. Also the management companies we have contacted have all used “bait and switch” pricing. We spend hours looking and find a condo with a good price, contact the company and be told the price advertised is not the price being charged.

In our situation an offer of a 3 month stay gets little interest. And 3 months is all we can stay for next year. But when we mention we usually stay 5 months that seems to get some attention. We are getting closer to closing on a multi year deal that isn’t perfect but is good enough to finally end the search.

Good luck with your search!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.